Saturday 30 November 2013

The Nerd List - November 2013


Firstly, apologies for my absence. I’ve been writing exams for the whole month, and to say it was a nightmare of note is an understatement at best. I didn’t even have time to breathe, and the few books I did decide to read I immediately regretted, because of the waste of precious time that could’ve been spent cramming for the lurking Physics paper just around the corner.

Anyway, as of Thursday it all ended, but I still get the fright of my life followed by a feeling of, “Oh my word I haven’t studied for…” every time I see a textbook lying around my room – and let me just tell you that there are at least 16 000 pages of my notes littering the floor in piles of doom just waiting to be tripped over. So this nerd list is going to be mainly focused on exams, seeing as that’s basically what I’ve been eating, breathing and seeing for the whole month.

And I promise to make it as entertaining as possible, even though exams are no joke and scare my very soul out of its hibernation of procrastination and laziness.

Enjoy!


Books


Books I’ve read this month:



Book of the month 

As always, this is a difficult one. The choice between a classic that I actually really enjoyed, but took me forever to read, and a novel that I practically inhaled because it was so amazing, is going to be the death of me some day. I would like to prolong the inevitable for just a little longer, so for this month I’m going to have to say that The Great Gatsby takes the metaphorical prize. It was fantastic, and F. Scott Fitzgerald is pure genius to say the least. And I dare say that it probably tops my list of favourite classics, even overtaking Pride and Prejudice and The Secret Garden. If you don’t read The Great Gatsby before you die, you have not lived. End of story.

Book quote of the month

 "I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy." 
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Book boy of the month

Well to be perfectly honest I have no intention of ever daydreaming over Jay Gatsby or any of the other characters in The Great Gatsby, even if I am totally in love with everything to do with the early 1900s. Apollo, however, from Kendare Blake’s Antigoddess, is the reason we nerds think we’ll ever have a chance with  a Greek god… or just somebody who looks like a Greek god, for that matter. He’s sweet, loyal, brave, and handsome, not to mention that Cassandra didn’t even need to get involved in a pesky love triangle to fin out that he was “The One” all along, which has to say something about his pure awesomeness, right?

Moments



Fangirl moment of the month

Umm… I’m going to have to say that my fangirl moment of the month has to be the moment when I finished exams on Thursday at 10:00, and realized that my book purge was over, and that I could read again because there was literally nothing more I could do if I failed school. So I went a bit mad, and finally bought Allegiant by Veronica Roth, the third and final book in the Divergent series, which I forbade myself from reading during exams because I knew that I would just read, not study, and then probably have to repeat the year because all I could write on my Physics paper would be something about Tris and Tobias. And so far, it’s amazing. I’ll add a link here once I’ve finished it.

Facepalm moment of the month 

Catching Fire came out in cinemas while I was writing my Music paper. I nearly died. Then my sister went to go see it while I wrote Physics 1. I nearly shot her. And whenever somebody want’s to talk to me about it, but I can’t because I HAVEN’T SEEN IT YET CAN YOU JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH PLEASE AND THANK YOU GOD BLESS, I have to refrain from stabbing them in the eye with the pen I just used to write the exam that they should’ve also been studying for when they were allowed to go watch the reason for my existence.

Music


Song of the month 

Somewhere in Neverland by All Time Low is the reason I don’t have a pencil stabbed into some part of my body by now. It’s sort of Peter Pan-themed, which just makes me so happy because I just love the whole concept of a person who can fly, and would take me away from this cruel world where we are forced to write exams as an indication of our knowledge.

Oh, and the chorus, “Wendy, run away with me. I know I sound crazy; can’t you see what you do to me? I wanna be your lost boy. Your last chance, a better reality. Wendy we can get away. I promise if you’re with me say the world and we’ll find a way. I can be your lost boy. Your last chance. Your ‘everything better’ plan. Somewhere in Neverland,” is so definitely my lyric of the month.

Album of the month 

I haven’t bought a new album. I haven’t listened to a new album. The only album that got me through this month of hell was The Great Gatsby Soundtrack, and I know it’s won before, but sometimes greatness just needs to be recognized again.

Other


Movie of the month 

Well I guess it would be Catching Fire, but BECAUSE I HAVEN’T SEEN IT YET THERE CAN JUST BE NO MOVIE OF THE MONTH SORRY.

Tweet of the month

dont judge a book by its cover

my math textbook has a picture of someone enjoying themselves on it

i did not enjoy myself at all

Amen. 

Hope you enjoyed my Nerd List! Feel free to comment and subscribe to get a notification whenever I post a new blog or review!

2 comments:

  1. Hehe... aren't the pictures of people on most textbooks just awful?! And I guess December will make for a challenging "movie of the month" maybe ;) looking forward to the next List ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... aren't the pictures of people on most textbooks just awful?! And I guess December will make for a challenging "movie of the month" maybe ;) looking forward to the next List ♡

    ReplyDelete